...because there is a little country living in all of us



Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day!

Happy Valentine's Day!  I hope there are cards, chocolates, or roses sitting on all of your counter tops today!  If not, don't fret...  I haven't any either, at least not yet anyway.  I am on the way down to visit my sister in Tennessee for a couple days.  I won't be with the hubby on this Valentine weekend, but it will be good to see my sister again (and I think he is secretly relieved to get away with one or maybe there will be a special surprise waiting for me when I get back!  We shall see!)






I want to share a little Valentine decor that graces our home.  Valentine's is so much fun to decorate for with all the hearts and flowers on display.  I love tucking in splashes of pinks and reds ( my favorite color!) here and there.  For me, Valentine's Day is a big leap on the calendar in the countdown toward the arrival of spring.  I know it is only the middle of February but all the winter decor has been packed away for another year and our house feels so bright and airy.  Almost as if I could throw open a window and let the sun stream in (let's not get ahead of ourselves,  it is only 30 degrees outside!)  Ok, so we have a long way to go before spring, but today does mark it's imminent approach and at least we are heading in the right direction!




I know you have just seen my vintage wooden cubby decked out for Christmas in my Christmas home tour, but I couldn't bear not to show it to you again!  I have removed all the holiday baubles and ornaments and tucked vintage metal heart-shaped cookie cutters and red striped tea towels into each of the cubbies.










A vintage French sugar tin stands guard on top.  My favorite red crocheted hearts introduced last year hang from red branches stuffed inside.




Don't miss the red Anthropologie mug in the top row.  I have a couple of these brightly-colored monogrammed mugs.  I think they are so pretty and I love to decorate with them.












By gathering stacks of vintage bowls filled with heart-shaped cookie cutters and candy hearts, I created a Valentine inspired center-piece for my kitchen table.




The bowls rest upon a French round dough board placed upon a red-striped grainsack.
























I hope you all have a wonderful Valentine's Day!  Any special plans tonight?  Do tell!  




Maria ~Rusty Hinge




19 comments:

  1. Love the cubby, and ready for Spring, too!
    Happy Valentine's Day!

    -Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Valentines vignettes! Have a fabulous time at your sisters!

    donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! Happy Valentine's Day! I am new to your blog and found you via Jennifer at TOPC. Your home is my DREAM home and I love your style of decorating. I am in awe at the collection of grain sacks and French linens you have. So happy I found your blog!

    Happy Day to you and yours!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post. Valentine's Day and my birthday the same month. We skipped Christmas as well. We are celebrating them all by going to a wedding in Israel next month. It is worth waiting for. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I get so excited when I see a new post from you!! Happy Valentines Day to you to!! I love how you decorated!!! Amazing talent you have!! I love those hearts, I have some to:)
    Have a wonderful time with your sister!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Valentine decor is beautiful. I love to see that you use the crocheted hearts.

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Maria! What a wonderful decoration in white and red! I looooooove it! Happy valentine with your sister! With love, Geli

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to see that whole big cubby thing!!

    thanks for cuteness to start my day.

    hugs
    barb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really pretty valentines. Even though you are away from the hubby hope you have a nice Valentine's Day. Enjoy your visit with your sister.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Valentine's day darling...love love love Ria......❤ ❤ ❤ .....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks so beautiful Maria!!!
    Happy Valentine's and have a safe journey to your sister's!
    Sincerely,
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such lovely pops of red. I just love your home and all your vintage pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like that cubby..
    Happy Valentine's Day..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sister time love my moments with my sister. Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the pops of red all around! I always enjoy your posts, my friend! Take care and hope you had a wonderful VDay with your hubs!


    XO's,
    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful pictures! I love that cubby....in any season!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice blog ;)
    Would love for you to check me out at http://vintagevanessad.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just adore your style Maria....I could look at your home all day ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Maria, I just love all your pictures..so much inspiration!

    from your newest follower, Becky @ vintage541.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love hearing from you and appreciate all of your comments. It's a treat to read each one!
Love,
Maria